Nau Mai Haere Mai

We're so glad you're here!

Take a dig through our content by clicking on the main headers and subheadings. This will take you to videos, hot tip's, fun facts, and more!

This space is recommended for ages 12+. If you're under 12, have a kōrero with your whānau about what areas of the site may be best for you. Have fun and check out our TikTok and Instagram for more!

Have you been harmed?

It is not your fault if you have been harmed. You are not alone and there are people here to help you. Kia kaha.

If it is an emergency or you are in danger, call 111. You can call 111 even if you have no credit.

What do I do now?

If you are experiencing, or have experienced, harm then it is important to speak to someone you trust. You deserve to be heard and supported, and there are people who can help, who really care about keeping you safe.

Talking to a friend can be a great start. It’s also important to speak to an adult you trust.

An adult you trust could be:

  • Someone in your whānau
  • The parent of a friend
  • School counsellor (Kura Kaitohutohu)
  • Teacher (Kaiako)
  • Your GP (Rata Hauora)
  • A youth worker (Kaimahi Taiohi)
  • A youth group leader
  • A police officer (Pirihimana)
  • A Kaumātua (Māori Elder)

There are support services that are always willing to help. Click below to find out what’s available:

Do I have to report to the Pirihimana/Police?

Accessing support does not mean you have to, or will be made to report the abuse to the Police. This is your choice.

Some important things to know are:

  • You can still report a rape or sexual assault if it happened to you days, weeks, months or years ago.
  • You are still able to contact the Police if you just want to find out what your options are and how to get help. You do not have to make a formal complaint.
  • The Police can help you with kupu tohutohu (advice) and put you in touch with agencies that can offer support and counselling.

If you do choose to report abuse, it can help to know what this will involve.

To start, you will need to phone or visit your nearest Police station. Click below to find a Police station near you:

Contacting the Police in person

  • Phone your nearest Police station and tell the person who answers the phone that you want to report a physical or sexual assault.
  • They will make an appointment for you to come in to the station or they will arrange for an officer to come to you.
  • If your nearest police station is not open 24 hours and you call outside opening hours, there will be a message telling you which other station near you will be open and what number to call.


Contacting the Police by phone

  • Go to your nearest Police station and tell the person on the front counter that you need to speak with a police officer in private to make a report.
  • You don't need to make an appointment and you may be able to speak to an officer straight away.
  • You can ask to speak with either a male or female officer and the police will do their best to provide this.
  • A Police officer will take brief notes of what has happened to decide what to do next, and make sure you are safe.


Check out more info and videos about what would happen next, below:

Related topics
Is someone you care about unsafe?
What is dating violence?